Stavig Hill District
Stavig House Museum
Andrew and Mary Stavig
112 First Avenue West
Listed on National Register 1995
This spacious and elegant three story Victorian home was built by Norwegian immigrant Andrew Stavig in 1916. It remained in the Stavig family until 1994 when it became a museum which focuses on (1) the architecture of this classic home, (2) the story of Scandinavian immigration, and (3) the history of Sisseton.
The Stavig Hill District
is an area of the residential district that is historically linked to the Stavig Bros. Store and the Stavig families. It is named for the high concentration of Stavig family members and Scandinavian immigrants who resided there.
Support for the Carnegie Foundation made it possible for Sisseton to build its first library in 1916. The style of the building is Prairie Design and served as the city library for 53 years. In 1968 it was replaced with a a new library built in a more contemporary version of prairie style architecture.
The Library District
tours the east side residential area of Sisseton and provides a sample of a wide variety of architectural styles. In early days, this neighborhood was called "The Silk Stocking District'' because of the number of professional people who built or bought homes in this part of town. Carnegie Library
Listed on the National Register 1994
Court House District
Roberts County Courthouse
2nd Avenue East
Listed on National Register in 1976 this Neo-classical Revival courthouse was built in 1902 and has been completely renovated to its original state. The County Seat of Roberts County is the focal point for the Courthouse District
which tours the down- town area of Sisseton
Sisseton's downtown has survived two major fires, one in 1917 and one in 1950. Rebuilding for the future is part of Sisseton's history. Most recent was a major infrastructure improvement to the downtown area. Sisseton was named Community of the Year for the State of South Dakota in 2000.